Big Win for Animal Rights: Navy Sonars Are Killing Whales, US Court Rules
“Blue whales can now live in peace and relative quiet after the Ninth
U.S. Circuit Court of San Francisco ruled out the U.S. Navy’s request
to use low-frequency sonar due to its potential harm to marine
“The U.S. Navy sought the approval from the National Marine Fisheries
Service to use the said sonar under the Marine Mammal Protection Act.
However, groups urged the Service to reassess, which led to their
decision not to give the go signal to the Navy’s request.”
Judge will allow animal rights’ vet to examine Cricket Hollow Zoo lions
“Animal Legal Defense Fund granted part of injunction”
“CEDAR RAPIDS — A federal judge Friday ordered owners of the Cricket
Hollow Zoo in Manchester to let a veterinarian examine two African
lions they are being sued over.”
A/w local OKC outdoor news:
Crossing Community Church, located in OKC, is having its annual “Beast
Feast” on Tuesday night.
Tickets are $15 each and there is a smoked pork dinner.
The guest speaker is a co-host of Inside Outdoors TV, based in Tulsa.
This show began their 10th season this month.
The “Beast Feast” includes a hunting and fishing expo with numerous
prizes to be given away.
This includes hunting trips, fishing trips, guns, rod and reels, knives and
Facing an uphill court fight, the US Fish and Wildlife Service announced
last week it was formally
removing the lesser prairie chicken from a federal protection list under
the Endangered Species Act.
This move follows recent court rulings in Texas that stripped the lesser
prairie chicken of federal
protection. However, federal officials say the removal doesn’t mean
authorities had concluded the
lesser prairie chicken didn’t warrant protection for biological reasons.
The agency stated “The service is undertaking a thorough re-evaluation
of the bird’s status and
the threats it faces using the best available scientific information to
determine anew whether listing
under the ESA is warranted.”
The previous rulings found that the Fish and Wildlife Service failed to
make a proper evaluation
of a multi-state conservation plan when it listed the lesser prairie
chicken as threatened.
Oil and gas groups had strongly opposed the threatened listing and
ranchers also opposed the
The lesser prairie chicken’s Great Plains habitat has shrunk by more
than 80 percent since
the 1800s and its population by 99 percent.
It lives primarily in Kansas. However, it also lives in Texas, New
Mexico, Okla. and Colorado.
To keep the birds off the endangered species list, these five states
organized their own
conservation program. It offers economic incentives to landowners and
companies who set
aside land to protect the birds.
An Animal Rights Article from All-Creatures.org
THANK YOU for every single thing you did to make a difference for animals in 2015!
This list is about the animals and to honor animal rights activists. Congratulate yourself for your contribution and get inspired to do even MORE for animals in 2016. Please SHARE this link!
We know there are many more victories and many more good news items for animals in 2015 and we know there are LOTS of opinions of what “victory” or “good news” mean. This is a listing of what was posted as good news/victories on our All-Creatures.org 2015 weekly eNewsletters. Please subscribe here.
THANK YOU…FOR ANIMALS EVERYWHERE!
- Dutch fur industry will end!
- Chip-chip Hooray!
- Harsher Fines For Animal Abusers As Winona, MS Passes Precedent-Setting Amendment
- FDA Ruling: Just Mayo Can Still Be Called Mayo
- Nearly Everything You Have Been Told About Diabetes Is False
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Announces Final Rule on African Lions!
- Putting a face on precision medicine
- From Unhealthy to World-Champion Powerlifter on a Plant-Based Diet
- Chimpanzee Lisa Marie Is Finally Free
- Barnard Medical Center Service Opens January 5, 2016
- NIH Ending Baby Monkey Torture!
- LCA’s Investigation Shuts Down 2 China Dog Meat Slaughterhouses
- The Root Cause of All Discrimination, Oppression and Even Terrorism
- Lawsuit Filed to Compel San Antonio Zoo to Release Elephant Lucky to a Sanctuary
- Art As Activism: The Power of Interpretation
- The Ironmen will be Home for the Holidays
- Restaurant Vegetarian Menus Grow by 66 Percent in Three Years
- Our Bodies Thrive on Plant-based Foods
- Chemical Companies, Regulators Seek Animal Test Alternatives
- Rainy Days at PAWS
- Thanksgiving is a time to have gratitude — but it is much more than sharing a meal
- NIH to Release All Federally Owned Chimpanzees to Sanctuary!
- The Go Vegan Campaign in Ireland
- ALDF Sues USDA to Label Foie Gras for What It Is—Diseased
- Two more American Dog Tracks are Closing
- Georgia Aquarium to Stop Pushing for Permit to get Belugas Held Captive in Russia
- First animal-free platform screens drugs for kidney injury
- Tell Kikkoman to Stop Killing Animals for Soy Sauce Health Claims – Victory Update
- Foothill-Yellow Legged Frogs’ Habitat Saved
- Vegan Foodie Interview with Laura Theodor, The Jazzy Vegetarian
- ‘I Prioritize Human Problems’: 7 Reasons to Go Vegan Anyway
- Notorious Ivory Poacher Arrested
- The Plant-Based Lifestyle Is the Best Medicine I’ve Ever Prescribed
- Justice for Cecil Act Passes!
- Vegan Ad Campaign in Ireland
- WHO Says Meat Increases Rates of Cancer
- The Note in My Dad’s Wallet
- Classical Vegan Cookbook for Professional Chefs and Inspired Cooks
- University of Oklahoma president says Baboon Program to end
- How To Create A Virtuous Circle In Your Life By Going Vegan
- Tell Free People to Drop Angora Wool Immediately – Good News Update
- Lab grown kidneys test drugs without animals
- Montana Grizzly Bears Win Big In Court – Montana Habitat Protected
- Introducing SAVE THE FROGS! Panama
- Compassionate Actions Project Food Drives
- 14-year-old Beagles Rescued from a Life of Hell
- 28 Years in the Slammer
- Nineteen Medications … GONE in Six Months!
- Malaysia Airlines Berhad announces it will not carry shark fin or other endangered wildlife products
- Vegan Strongman Patrick Baboumian Breaks World Record
- A Is for Animal: The Animal User’s Lexicon
- Small Victory for Belugas
- ‘Organs-on-chips’ go mainstream
- Taco Bells Expands Their Vegetarian/Vegan Menu
- The Writing Life, Burnout, and What it Means to Keep Fighting
- British Medical Journal Ruins Dairy Industry’s Day
- Vegan Advocacy at Eden Farmed Animal Sanctuary
- Unilever joins EPA to advance animal-free tests
- Pigs out of the crosshairs at laboratories in New Zealand
- Restaurant going 100% vegan after seeing Cowspiracy!
- Big Win for Whales: U.S. Navy to Limit Sonar Use
- Bionic liver chip outperforms animal tests for drug toxicity
- Missoula Montana City Council Bans Wild and Exotic Animal Acts
- More People Want Vegan Food in Restaurants
- Prime Wildlife Habitat in San Francisco Bay Area Spared From Urban Sprawl
- Endangered Mississippi Dusky Gopher Frog Receives Recovery Plan
- UK Public Finds Animal Research ‘Secretive’
- Testimonies from experts on the unreliabilties of animal experimentation
- How Hurricane Katrina Turned Pets into People
- Refugees Find Comfort in Free Vegan Meals from Food for Life Global Throughout Europe
- Whole Foods Ends the Sale of Rabbit Meat!
- Brain-in-a-dish provides model of human disease
- No More Wild-Animal Acts in George Carden Circus International
- The First Open Salmon Liberation in Sweden
- Cholita is Home Free
- Arrow Removed from Grace’s Face
- UFC Heavyweight Goes Vegan After Watching Undercover Video
- Why Should We Go To Protests?
- Federal Report Finds Plant-Based Diet is Best; Meat Industry Is Unhappy
- Meat Eaters Produce Double the Greenhouse Gases as Vegans
- Dog Racing is Ending in Texas!
- More Medical Centers End Animal Use
- Alliance to End Chickens as Kaporos Lawsuit: Update and Media Coverage
- Dissection: Cutting it out of Education
- End of Animal Sacrifice at the Gadhimai Festival?
- Kids for Elephants!
- One Step for Animals’ Guiding Principles
- Prestigious Film Festival Announces First-Ever Category Dedicated To Animal Rights
- Animal testing for cosmetics banned in Turkey
- International Outcry Against Pilot Whale Slaughter Continues as Major German Cruise Liner Companies Cancel Faroe Islands Stops
- Hercules and Leo: Nonhuman Rights Project Update
- D.C. Mom Files Class Action Suit Against Circus for Misleading People
- Animal Activists’ Chalking Charges Have Been Dropped!
- Texas Cattle Rancher Goes Vegan, Turns Ranch Into Sanctuary
- California Bans All Bobcat Trapping
- Victories Just This Week from Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF)
- Idaho AgGag Law Struck Down as Unconstitutional
- Hartford Hospital Ends Animal Trauma Lab: Only Three Labs Remain
- VEGAN 101 Video Crash Course
- First-ever model of the developing human heart created
- Court Victory for Wilderness in the Arctic Refuge
- Victory for Elephants in Kern County!
- VEGAN 101 Video Crash Course
- Giving (Vegan) Sanctuary to Goat People
- CNN Report on Factory Farms and Ag-Gag Wins National Press Club Award
- Sea World Employee Busted Infiltrating PETA
- Review of Encyclical: Laudato Si’ of the Holy Father Francis: On Care for Our Common Home
- Secrets of the Dolphin Brain
- World’s Top Pasta Company, Barilla, Bans Tests on Animals
- The Anti-fox Hunting Act in Britain is Safe…For Now
- The Best Kept Secret in Medicine
- Sao Paulo, Brazil, Goes Fur Free AND Foie Gras Free!
- Sussex Christian School Scuttles Plans for Future Rodeos
- End Chicken Kaporos Lawsuit Filed In New York
- “That Is Just Too Extreme For Me”
- Why I’m An Animal Rights Activist When There Is So Much Human Suffering In The World
- Why Animal Protection Advocates Are Lauding Pope Francis’s Encyclical, Laudato Si’
- Pope Francis and Mother Earth
- New Zealand Declares Animals to be Sentient, Bans Testing
- A Revolution in Drug Testing – Infographic
- Wolves and Baboons in Ethiopia Form Unlikely Friendships
- Success for Four Paws ‘Wild? Me?’ Campaign: EU recognises that homeless cats and dogs are not wild animals
- Two more airlines ban transport of ‘hunting trophies’
- 3D organoids provide benefits over mouse ‘avatars’
- Leading Military Contractor Abuses Animals and Service Members – Good News Update
- Progress, progress, progress
- FutureChefs: Putting A Vegan Stamp On It
- Ongoing Fresh Vegan Food for Hungry Ethiopian Children
- Update: Students Dance With Cat Corpses
- Confessions of a Wildlife Filmmaker: The Challenges of Staying Honest in an Industry Where Ratings Are King
- Japan Airlines Stops Shipping Monkeys to Labs
- Think Eating Healthy’s a Pain? Diabetes is the Real Pain
- #AgGag Victory! North Carolina Governor Vetoes Bill
- To Make Life Truly Just
- USDA Probe Launched after Undercover Investigation at Laboratory Monkey Breeding Facility
- Four Paws Achieves Ban on Bear Baiting in Ukraine
- Captured Sulphur Springs Senior Stallions Find Refuge at Return to Freedom
- Historic EU hearing considers an end to animal research
- Protected Homes for Rare Mississippi Frogs
- The Good Karma Diet
- Vegan Travel Agents
- How I Became a Happy Vegan Black Sheep
- New Study: Animal Protection Viewed Most Favorable of Social Justice
- 38 Bears Rescued from Bear Bile Farms
- Merck to incorporate simulated liver for drug testing
- 33 Cotton-Tops Arrive at Jungle Friends
- Landmark Chemical Legislation Protects Human Health by Requiring Nonanimal Test Methods
- Ethical Choices Program
- 38 Bears Rescued from Bear Bile Farms
- PlantPure Nation Documentary
- Bunny Killing Workshop Cancelled
- Cruel Pig ‘Rassle’ Shut Down!
- Why Writing for Psychology Today Is a Good Idea
- Why I Quit Hunting
- At last, the YANKEES!
- Historic Victory for Chimpanzees
- Foston ‘Pig Prison’ Application Withdrawn
- San Francisco Unanimously Passes Ban on Performing Wild Animals
- California’s Mendocino County Suspends Contract With Wildlife-killing Program
- Mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico Bans Horse-Drawn Carriages
- The Truth, the Whole Truth and Nothing But…
- Gene Baur on The Daily Show: The Tide is Changing
- On the Importance of Sanctuaries
- Wild Horses Return to Freedom At Fish Creek, Nevada
- Virginia’s Natural Bridge Zoo has State Permit Suspended
- Undercover Investigator TJ Tumasse
- Cholita is Cleared for Take-Off
- How to Adopt an Animal Imprisoned in a Lab
- A Vegan Diet Is Healthful
- Passover Lessons That Can Produce a Sustainable Environment
- Nonanimal Tests Prominent on Society of Toxicology Meeting Agenda
- Arizona Governor Vetoes Anti-Animal Bill
- New center will test chemicals without using animals
- Defending the Defenceless: Speciesism, Animal Liberation, and Consistency in Applied Ethics
- 13 Reasons Why I am No Longer a Vegetarian…
- Four Pennsylvania National Horsetrack Vets Face Federal Charges
- Former NBA Player John Salley Creates a Better Life
- Scientists create mini lungs to aid cystic fibrosis research
- Victim Uses Media Interest in His Assault to Generate Attention for Abused Animals
- Rite Aid Does Fight by Betta Fish in Teddy Tanks
- Historic Wild Horse Agreement signed
- Citizens for Alternatives to Animal Research and Experimentation (CAARE)
- Dangerous and Cruel Bull Run Vows Never to Return to California
- Federal Court Dismisses Nevada Cattlemen’s Anti-Mustang Lawsuit
- Court Rejects Plan to Expand New Mexico Coal Mine
- Why Burnout Matters
- SeaWorld’s Attempt to Silence “Radical” Professor Backfires
- What Ringling Bros. Can Teach Us about Protest (Hint: It Works)
- Animal Justice Project: New Organization Launches in U.S. and U.K. to Campaign Against Animal Experiments
- Sam Simon: A True Hero for Animals
- A Musing All-Vegan School Cafeteria
- The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus to Eliminate Elephant Acts by 2018
- The Abolitionst Vegan Society (TAVS) Tenets
- Portugal’s Surgeon General Endorses Plant Based Diet
- 10 important moments in Christianity and vegetarianism
- Why Humans Need Animal Rights
- This Man Went Vegan And Something Amazing Happened
- Animal Rights Benefit Humans
- Vegan Kids at Lower Risk for Heart Disease
- The Sympathy of Policy-Makers Towards Animal-Rights Activists, and the Future of Biomedical Research
- Wayne Creed Pays a Visit to United Poultry
- Health, Environment, Animal-welfare Groups Applaud U.S. Dietary Guidelines’ New Sustainability Focus
- Nasdaq offers advice: Don’t invest in meat
- Feds restore protected status for Great Lakes wolves
- Not Eating God’s Animals Does Our Bodies Good
- Robert Mercer – And Another Success Story from Dr. Esselstyn
- Ricky the Bear’s Rescue
- Victory for Pine Nut Wild Horses Lawsuit Challenges Government’s Large-scale Wildlife Killing in Idaho
- Inditex Pulls Angora: Donates Almost $1 Million of Clothing to Syrian Refugees
- Fur Free Fashion Show in Beijing
- Scholars Convene at Minding Animals Conference
- Animals in France: What Really Happened about Sentience?
- Fairfax, Virginia, Passes City-Wide Ban on Continuous Dog Chaining
- Veganism is not health insurance Sacred Activism in the Service of Animals
- Put Down Your Friggin’ Fork
- UW-Madison Closes Cruel Cat Lab
- Eat Plant-Based for Good Health!
- The First Vegan Full-Service PR and Marketing Agency Opens in Los Angeles
- New York Outlaws Pet Piercing and Tattoos; New Jersey May Follow
- Sixty Cock Fighting Roosters Rescued In the Battle for Hearts and Minds
- Vegans Launch a Volley
- Why I Will Always Be Vegan
- Ag-gag Charges Dropped Against Animal Rights Activists
- Animal Protection in Constitutions Around the World
- Philanthropist Rescues 1,300 Monkeys from Imminent Torture
- PETA releases vegan starter kit for the blind
- Baby orca born to endangered whales in Puget Sound
- 3 Reasons Why Farm Sanctuaries Are Vital to the Animal
- No Live Opossums in This Year’s ‘Opossum Drop’
- Nonhuman Rights Project Updates for Tommy, Kiko, Hercules, Leo
- Remembering Dian Fossey – Commentary by Captain Paul Watson
- 2014 Was Another Good Year For PAWS
- Art for Animals’ Sake Created a Compassionate 2014
- Monkeys in NIH Lab Get Congressional Support
- National Museum of Animals and Society – 2014
- Circles of Compassion
Last night we watched a movie that turned out surprisingly good considering I had no idea what to expect. No doubt it had a surprise, tragic ending, but that was part of what made it interesting.
The 1976 film, Robin and Marian, starring Sean Connery as a grey-bearded Robin Hood and Audrey Hepburn as Marian, was not your typical fable furthering the standard hero myth about Robin Hood and the “merry men.” In this tale, Robin, or, “Rob,” as he was referred to by his side-kick, Little John, was returning from 18 years of bloody battles in the Crusades against the Muslims (the ones fought while attempting to capture the “Holy Lands,” in the Ninth Century A.D, not the one started recently), back home to Sherwood Forest in the not-so-civilized country of England.
The first thing Robin and Little John come across is Will Scarlet and Friar Tuck, two of the fabled merry men, with a freshly poached deer. Through them Rob discovers that Maid Marian is in a nearby nunnery, where she’s been since Robin left her to do the king’s bidding in battle.
(The king, Richard the Lionheart, played by Richard Harris, is killed by an arrow symbolically thrown that ends up hitting him in the neck. Those damn things must have been sharp, even then.)
Long story short, the story ends after Robin and the Merry Men go into battle with the Sheriff of Nottingham (played by Robert Shaw of Jaws fame) and his troops. Robin and the Sheriff face off against one another with broadswords in the agreement that the loser’s men would be spared. But after Robin Hood receives a potentially lethal blow and the Sheriff backs off, Robin runs him through in an underhanded, unsportsmanlike end to the “contest.” As Robin is being helped off the battlefield by Marian and Little John, the Sheriff’s troops ride into the forest to slay the rest of Robin’s men.
They take Robin to Marian’s convent, where she promises to give him medicine to ease his pain. There he boasts to Little John about how he’ll heal up and be back in “glorious battle” in no time. It turns out that the “pain killer” she gives him and takes herself is poison instead, and as they’re dying she tells him how she loved him “more than God.” While we’re seeing Robin Hood come to terms with the reality that he’s not going to live, we’re forced to have to realize that she just couldn’t take the thought of him constantly going into bloody battle and see him suffer and die a violent death at the hands of someone like him. Perhaps she just couldn’t take hearing him sum himself up as nothing but a killer, obsessed with a love for doing glorious, violent battles. She had seen something more in him that may have faded during all those brutal, destructive years in the Crusades.
Ultimately, Robin and Marian was an anti-war film; one of several to come out at the time. The question is, how long will humans play out these scenarios before they finally get it?
The change in demographic is the prime driver for the economic spiral state wildlife management agencies face nationwide. They have never been more vulnerable for change. Reforming state wildlife commissions to represent more than just hunters is key to this evolution.
From John A. Livingston’s The Fallacy of Wildlife Conservation:
“I happen to loath and abominate blood ‘sports.’ I think that killing any sensate being for recreation—for fun—is evil and contemptible. I have said so, for public consumption, many times.
“The most frequent theme in the resulting letters I receive is that I have absolutely no rational argument to present, and that as the result I (sneakily) resort to purely emotional appeals. Some of the mail, by the way, has to be opened with my asbestos gloves.
“An acquaintance of mine in the arctic town of Inuvik once said to me, ‘John, we’ve got to do something about all these ravens here in town!’ ‘Why so?’ I asked. ‘For heaven’s sake, man, look around you—there are so many of them they’re getting out of control!’
“Loss of control is the abdication of power. It is tantamount to chaos. The universe is orderly, therefore chaos is unnatural. …
“So, it is seen that the ravens of Inuvik (prospering on our garbage) are thumbing their amiable beaks at universal order and thus at us. …
“Death is the final sting, the ultimate victory of uncontrollable, unmanageable, immoral, chaotic nature—from which experience we are snatched at the final exhalation by the gorgeous rationalization. Spirit over flesh, man over nature.”